4:10am...
Today was the day I embarked on my last long run before the marathon (24 Miles) and this is the time my alarm clock so graciously woke me this morning. I heaved myself out of bed and fumbled, half blind, in the dark for the pile of running clothes I set out last night - Right behind me, Will turned on the bed side lamp. It was early, but lets be honest... I was in and out of sleep since 3am anyhow.
I Got dressed and went down stairs to make my faithful bowl of old fashioned oats. My loving husband stumbled down the stairs behind me and grabbed for the car keys; Will generously offered to drive out and strategically place my bottles of water for me. I am sure at this hour, he was wondering what was he thinking. LOL!
5:00am... Miles: 0
Oatmeal consumed, Podcasts updated and ready, running belt with water and sport beans fully loaded and ready to go. Will briefed me on the water locations and I was out the door. I took a moment to appreciate the starry sky and I was off.
I don't have much to say about the run except for the fact that it is obviously still with me. My knees and back are throbbing, but hey - that is what Ibuprofen is for right? The first 12 miles went great... around mile 14 I hit a wall, around mile 17 I hit a wall, and again around 20 - but besides my nifty Garmin GPS running watch who is keeping track anyhow?
8:47am... Miles: 20
Luckily at mile 20, I found something to keep me going. As I was staring down at the road (don't ask why, I think I was watching one foot go in front of the other at this point) I saw it sitting in the grass - this rather large sticker which read: Made in USA. I think at this stage my tiredness was making me delerious and this sticker was like a pot of gold which gave me a good laugh. I slowed down (which I was actually already going pretty slow) and picked it up and stuck it on my shirt - yes kind of a dorky thing to do. Here is the thing though - I am running to help raise money for the Semper Fi Fund which assists injured Marines hurt in the line of duty and this sticker, at least to me, exemplified the whole cause - pride for those who serve this country.
9:25am... Miles: 24
4 hrs 25 min and 40 sec, 2698 calories and 24 miles later , job complete. Around mile 22 adrenaline kicked in and I ran at my fasted pace of the day, 8:45 - I am not sure if this was "runners high" that everyone talks about or more the fact that I had been on the road long enough and saw the light at the end of the tunnel... either way, I am more than happy to have my last long run behind me and am on the countdown for the marathon. Many thanks to all of you who have been cheering us on!
1 comment:
you go, girl!!! that is awesome... good luck to both of you- i truly admire your dedication to such a wonderful cause.
Post a Comment