Saturday, June 07, 2008

Summering in Newport


So, summer has arrived in Newport, and I feel it appropriate to describe what it means to summer in Newport. Being our first summer, I cannot speak with complete accuracy on the matter, but fortunately Shelly has befriended several "local" families who have taken us under their wing and showed us the ropes. They are ensuring that we take full advantage of our summer here and spend it as Newporters. First, let me describe Newport in the summer. It's a zoo! Seriously, for the last month, every weekend, starting around noon on Friday a steady stream of CT, MA, and NY license plates pour over the bridge and invade Newport. Downtown is suddenly transformed from a sleepy beach town into Disney World's Main Street in July, and I now understand why some many are envious of where our house is located, for it is less than a mile from downtown, an easy walk or quick bicycle ride. And since parking is now impossible with all the new cars in town, bicycle are obviously going to be the choice of transportation as the summer progresses.



The other thing to do as a Newporter is to join one of the local beaches. Yes, join a beach, as in buy a membership, for the beaches in Newport are all private not public. Truly from the Great Gatsby, this is an obvious way to separate the Newporters from the tourist rift raft. Now, this is not to say all the beaches are exclusive. There are exclusive beaches, beaches that you have to be nominated by a current member just to get on the twenty year wait list, but not all beaches are exclusive, just private. The beach (Gooseberry Beach) we go to is obviously not exclusive, for we're members, but it is definitely private. The public is welcome to visit but must pay to do so, and they don't enjoy the purple decal placed on your car, marking you as a Newporter. Perhaps the biggest perk of belonging to Gooseberry is that Shelly decided to splurge and purchase a "locker" for the summer. Being an owner of a locker means that we have the luxury of calling the beach and telling them, "this is the Fortune's, we are on our way. Please set up the contents of our locker just to the right of the life guard stand." Then the summer help enters our locker and shleps the beach chairs, umbrella, and toys all down to the water where it is neatly waiting for us upon our arrival. Our only job is to bring a cooler and the kids. And did I mention that, upon leaving, we just walk away from our things and the beach help cleans it up and returns it to the locker.... Now that is service!

I have also noticed that all the clubs look similar to each other, small clubhouse lined on either side by cabanas and a yardarm out front with the American flag and the club's crest flying on it. That is something else I have noticed about Newport. Flying your a personalized pennant from the yardarm is a Navy tradition, but it is well known that Old Glory (the American flag) is always flown above all other flags and pennants on the yardarm, including any personalized pennants. All the clubs here, be it the beach clubs or yacht clubs, put their respective pennant on the highest point of the yardarm. It is as if to say they are members of that club first and Americans second.

(Picture of the New York Yacht Club)

We have also joined the Newport Athletic Club. Again, do not make the wrong assumption from name, for it is probably the fanciest part of the club. Most military members naturally join the YMCA, as we did when we first moved here, but the locals are all members of the Newport Athletic Club. So after a couple of months at the Y, our Newport friends convinced us to switch to the NAC. Probably the most unique feature of NAC is that it serves beer, a drink I do not really associate with the gym, but who am I to judge? I guess it is for the old men after their games of racketball or tennis. Personally, I see myself going their this fall to watch football while Shelly works out.

Next I am going to dust off my tennis racket (the Tennis Hall of Fame is located here, and there are tennis courts everywhere) I am planning a clam bake next. Now I just need to befriend someone with a yacht. Overall, we are well on our way to becoming Newporters.

On a separate note, it is hot! Really hot! Being from the South, I am use to hot weather, but this is ridiculous, especially since our house does not have AC. As a result, we have spent the last couple of days moving very little.

No comments: