First, in case you are completely lost right now, Davidson College is a small (1,700 students) liberal arts college outside Charlotte, NC. It is best known for its very strenuous honor code and high level of academics. It also has a very loyal alumni base, and if you have spent any time with me or talked to Shelly about it, you will quickly learn this, but, I do not apologize for I am proud of my education. (Check out their website to learn more.)
Second, The Big Dance is the NCAA tournament.
Third, the reason this is such a big deal for Davidson is that, though they had been to the tournament the previous two years, and once, while I was in college, it is still hard for them, being a mid-major team, to get into. They once had a very storied program under the famous coach, Lefty Driesell, who took them to the final four back in 1968. Since then, Davidson has been a typical mid-major school, appearing ever so often in the tournament and fodder for the first round, that is until coach Bob McKillop came to Davidson. He has taken the basketball team to the next level, even going so far as being nationally ranked this year. They are being led by sophomore phenom Stephen Curry, the son of NBA star, Dell Curry. Only a sophomore Stephen Curry has put up 40 and 25 points, respectively in his last two games. They also currently hold the longest win streak in the country with 24 wins.
So, if you do not have a team to cher for in the tournament, I encourage you to pull for Davidson, the truly Cinderella team.
Here are more stories on Davidson's recent defeat of Georgetown:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=284000013
http://www.charlotte.com/507/story/549767.html
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney08/columns/story?id=3308381
p.s. As Shelly shakes her head at me for writing this post, I promise to write about, and post pictures of, our Easter soon. ...Go Wildcats!
No comments:
Post a Comment